Guide to International Divorce

Hodge Halsall Solicitors deal with international divorce cases where you may be an English national living abroad or a client who has moved from another country to live in England or Wales.  

Different countries have different divorce systems in terms of divorce/civil partnership dissolution and resolution of associated financial issues.  It might be that you have a choice where to issue your divorce petition because of your links to more than one country, and the team at Hodge Halsall Solicitors will be able to offer you expert advice about where you should start divorce proceedings.

The law in this area is complex depending in particular on which countries are involved and whether we are part of the European Union.  

As members of Resolution, the family law association, we continue to be at the forefront of changes developing in this area of law.

In addition, we can assist you in advising and preparing prenuptial and postnuptial agreements where one person may have assets based overseas and where you might wish to agree the appropriate country for divorce/civil partnership dissolution in the event of relationship breakdown.  

It may also be the case that in a relationship breakdown/separation that one party wishes to relocate abroad with children.  Again at Hodge Halsall Solicitors we can help you with an appropriate application to court should it not be possible to negotiate and agree where children might live or we can respond to such an application brought by the other parent as may be necessary in your case.

For all cases with an international element we are able to offer you a bespoke and tailored service at an hourly rate that we would agree with you at the outset of your case.

For more information about anything mentioned above, or how to move forward, please call our family law solicitors who will explain your next steps.

< Return to Family Law