Guide to Civil Partnership/Dissolution

Here at Hodge Halsall Solicitors we are experienced at advising in relation to Civil Partnerships as well as Civil Partnership Dissolution.

Civil Partnership is governed by The Civil Partnership Act 2004.  Civil Partners have the same legal status as married couples as a result of this legislation, including, for example, tax, inheritance and financial provision on relationship breakdown.

In order to be able to enter into a Civil Partnership, both parties must be 18 years of age or older and they do not need to have a Civil Partnership ceremony.  The couple will sign a Civil Partnership document in front of a Registrar in the presence of each other and 2 witnesses.  The Civil Partnership document is then registered.

Same sex couples in the UK have been allowed to marry since 2014.  Most recently, in October 2018, it was decided that heterosexual couples should be allowed to enter into Civil Partnerships and consequently the law changed on 31 December 2019 so that heterosexual couples may also now enter into either a Marriage or a Civil Partnership.

In the event of Civil Partnership breakdown, a couple can apply for the partnership to be dissolved in the same way a Marriage is dissolved, with the exception it is not possible to file an Adultery Petition.  The couple can also make financial claims against the other person in relation to the partnership, just as they would in a Divorce case.

The Family Law team at Hodge Halsall Solicitors has experience in advising those who wish to go through the Civil Partnership Dissolution process to achieve both this and resolution of all financial issues arising in the most effective way possible.  We are also experienced in advising in all children issues which may arise following a Civil Partnership Dissolution and will offer you a bespoke service with an agreed hourly rate at the outset of the case.

If you would like any further advice in relation to Civil Partnership Dissolution and any surrounding legal issues, please contact one of our Solicitors who will be happy to talk through your options.

< Return to Family Law