Guide to Change of Name

It is sometimes the case that a parent may wish to change the child’s surname following the relationship breakdown.

In order to change the name of a child who is under 16 years of age, both parents should usually give consent however, where this is not possible, a Court can make an Order to change a child’s surname.

An Application may be made to Court, known as a Specific Issues Order Application.  A Judge when making the decision will have regard to all of the circumstances of the case but, particularly the welfare of the child as a paramount consideration.

The Court will look at a range of factors, to include the commitment of the other parent to the child, the child’s opinion and age.

Our experienced Family Law Solicitors can make the Court Application for you or respond to such an Application if you wish to oppose a suggested change in name for a child, discuss the merits of the case with you at the outset and agree a bespoke service with you on an hourly rate.  

For those over 18 years of age who may also wish to change their own surname, independent of their children on relationship breakdown, we can also assist you with a Change of Name Deed.  We are able to offer this service to adults at a fixed fee of £200 plus VAT.    

For more information about anything mentioned or how to move forward with the above, please call our Family Law Solicitors who will explain your next steps.

< Return to Family Law